Gifts of Grace
1 Cor. 12:4-11
January 27, 2019
- God the Holy Spirit distributes the gifts, as He wills, for the benefit of the receivers, that they might glorify God and build up the church.
- God is good to give the gifts to us, so that He can bless us through them.
- As a local church, we are “continuationists.” That is, we believe the Bible teaches that all of the gifts that are mentioned in the New Testament continue on functioning in the church today.
“We must desire to know more of God’s presence in our lives and pray for a display of unleashed, reforming, reviving power among us, dreading all steps that aim to domesticate God. But such prayer and hunger must always be tempered with joyful submission to the constraints of biblical discipline.” — DA Carson
Five Aspects of the Spiritual Gifts
I. God Gives Gifts To Each Believer As He Wills (verses 7, 11)
“Spiritual gifts are God empowering His people through the Holy Spirit for kingdom life and service, enabling them in attitude and action to live and minister in a manner which glorifies Christ.” — Boyd Hunt
II. God Intends the Use of the Diverse Gifts to Reflect the Glory of the Trinity (verses 4-6)
III. God Gives Gifts For the Common Good (verse 7)
IV. God Gives Gifts to Empower the Church (verse 11)
“The Spirit amplifies our abilities and empowers them for greater effectiveness and usefulness in the church and for His glory.” — Bob Kauflin
“God is the kind of God who will be pleased with the one thing I have to offer – my thirst. God delights not when we offer Him our strength, but when we wait for His.” — Benjamin Coleman
V. God Gives Gifts to Manifest His Presence Among the Church (verse 7)
- The Spirit of God is here to lift up His name, to exalt His glory, to make His presence known among His people, to bless His people.
- May God help us to desire God’s purposes and God’s gifts.
Questions For Discussion / Application:
- Re-read the text, 1 Cor. 12:4-11. What initial observations and insights do you have from reading this text?
- What is the purpose of the spiritual gifts? How does God intend to use them in the church?
- What questions do you have regarding the spiritual gifts?
- In what ways do you desire to see the Holy Spirit move in your own life?