August 18, 2019
- The word “devoted” stands out in this passage. To be devoted means to give special attention to, have a particular affinity or love for something or someone. It is something that regularly “masters your attention.” It is where your mind drifts when your mind drifts.
- We read a passage this morning where the people of the church became devoted to certain things.
- What were they devoted to?
I. Devoted to Learning the Word Together (verse 42)
“they devoted themselves to the apostles teaching…”
II. Devoted to Loving Together (verse 42)
- “They were devoted to…the fellowship” …. devoted to “Koinonia” (fellowship).
- Their devotion and fellowship with God led them into deeper fellowship and relationship with one another. They shared with one another generously, as any had need. They even sold possessions in order to serve each other. Their love for one another was sacrificial.
III. Devoted to Worshipping Together (verse 46)
- “day by day, worshipping at the temple together (verse 46)”
“God isn’t a solitary God. There is only one God, but He has existed as three persons from all eternity. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit have always experienced triune joy, giving and taking, sharing together a depth of relationship and love that human relationships are meant to echo. In His kindness, God saves us so we might experience the same joys of fellowship, outpouring and mutual love he does.” — Bob Kauflin
“Corporate worship is nothing more, and nothing less, than a representation of the gospel the presence of God and His people for His glory and their good.” — Bryan Chapell
IV. Devoted to Evangelizing Together (verse 47)
- “And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved (verse 47)”
- As God continues to be at work in our church, through the witness of our fellowship, through the witness of the Word of God, as we continue to reach out to our neighbors and coworkers, God will do His work
- God has designed His church to be specifically corporate. He’s designed the church to do Life Together.
- God is glorified as His people are together, standing as one, with one heart unto Him
- Devoted to the Word
- Devoted to loving one another
- Devoted to worshipping Him together
- And doing the work of evangelism together
- Its God recipe for His great glory, and for our good!
Questions For Discussion/Application:
- Re-read the text, Acts 2:42-47. What initial observations and insights do you have from reading this text?
- You’ll notice the word “devoted” in verse 42. What does it mean to be truly devoted to something?
- What does it look like practically to be devoted to the Word of God together?
- In what ways can you grow in your devotion to God’s Word?
- What does it look like practically to be devoted to loving one another?
- What ways do you see others in this Care Group, in our church doing this well?
- What does it mean to be a worshipping community?
- What does it look like practically to be a community that that shares the gospel, that shares Christ with those who don’t know Him?