The Necessity of Sound Doctrine
I. Sound Doctrine Preserves Unity (verses 11-13)
Sound doctrine is essential for the unity of the church because the only true unity is unity in the truth (1 John 1:1-4; 2 John 10-11). Think about it. Without sound doctrine the church will be a jumbled mess of everyone’s personal beliefs. If the church without sound doctrine is united, it will either be around whimsical sentiment or an explicit untruth. — Nine Marks Ministries
“But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine.” — Titus 2:1
“Guard the good deposit entrusted to you” – 2 Timothy 1:14
“Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.” – 1 Timothy 4:16
“Sound doctrine is the ground and source of the church’s unity. It’s the pattern for the church’s unity. Not only that, it equips us to pursue and persevere and repair the church’s unity. It inoculates us against divisiveness. It smothers the fires of rivalry. And it helps to stitch together the garment of the church unity that we too easily tear apart.” — Bobby Jamieson
“Doctrine divides, but doctrine also unites. It binds together the hearts of God’s people who celebrate the truth of God together.” — RC Sproul
II. Sound Doctrine Leads to Maturity (verse 13)
“The best antidote to an appetite for false teaching is a steady diet of sound doctrine.” — Bobby Jamieson
III. Sound Doctrine Promotes Christlike Growth (verses 15-16)
- Expositional Preaching
- Doctrinal Worship
- Application of the Word
Questions for Discussion/Application:
- Re-read the text, Ephesians 4:11-16. What initial insights and observations do you have from reading this passage?
- What is “sound doctrine” ? Seek to define what that phrase means, in your own words.
- Why does “sound doctrine” matter?
- In what ways do doctrine and devotion go together?
- How does sound doctrine fuel worship?
- Assignment: In preparation for next Sunday’s Sermon, read the opening section of the Sovereign Grace Statement of Faith — “The Scriptures.”
- Note this helpful article on Sound Doctrine from Ligonier Ministries.
- Consider taking time to pray for this series–that God by His Spirit would deepen our love for and appreciation of God’s Word and sound doctrine.