Gathering Together & Encouraging One Another
November 3, 2019
But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. — Matthew 6:33
I. Seek the kingdom of God
- What is the kingdom? His righteous rule and reign in our hearts.
II. Seek first the kingdom of God
- To seek God’s kingdom first is to seek Jesus first.
- There are other things we often seek first: wealth, knowledge, achievement, success etc.
- Jesus knows these things don’t deliver. Our satisfaction is found in Christ alone.
III. God’s promise
“all these things will be added to you”
Questions For Discussion / Application:
- Re-read the text as well as the context, Matthew 6:25-24. What does the context of Jesus’ command in vs.33 to “seek first the kingdom of God” tell us about what it actually means to seek first the kingdom of God?
- What is God’s kingdom? What does it meant to seek His kingdom?
- We struggle to seek first the kingdom of God. What other pursuits can at times take priority in our lives over and above seeking first God’s kingdom?
- How can we help and encourage one another to seek first God’s kingdom?
- What is one way you want to grow as the result of taking time to consider this passage?