Be Filled With The Spirit
March 31, 2019
I. What is the Filling of the Holy Spirit?
“an event subsequent to conversion in which a believer experiences a fresh infilling with the Holy Spirit that may result in a variety of consequences, including greater love for God, greater victory over sin, greater power for ministry, and sometimes the receiving of new spiritual gifts”
— Wayne Grudem.
II. What are Evidences of the Filling of the Holy Spirit?
- Speaking: “Addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs (verse 19)”
- Thanking: “giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ (verse 20)”
- Singing: “singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart (verse 19b)”
- Submitting: “submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ (verse 21)”
- We can grieve the Holy Spirit: “And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption (Eph. 4:30).”
III. How do We Posture Ourselves to be Filled with the Holy Spirit?
- Embrace humility and ask!
- See Luke 11:13, Psalm 81:10
“If we are not disillusioned enough with how much we have allowed our talk to pass as our walk, discontented with the sparse amount of spiritual fruit we are truly bearing, and disappointed by the impotence of our own efforts, we will never be distressed enough to really plead with God to fill us with the Holy Spirit…If we’re not disturbed by how little we can do in our own power, we’ll never be desperate enough to ask God for His.” — John Bloom
- Drink in all of God
- See John 7:37-39a
- Drinking of the Spirit means setting our minds on the things of the Spirit.
- If we set our minds on the Word we will drink in the Spirit
Questions For Discussion/Application:
- Re-read the text, Ephesians 5:18-25. What initial observations and insights do you have from reading this text?
- How practically can we pursue being more filled with the Holy Spirit?
- What are one or two evidences of the Spirit’s work you want to see in your life?