Draw Near to God
June 14, 2020
Sermon Audio & Video
 But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”  Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.  Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom.  Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you. (ESV)
- In a world filled with clamor, in times of great change and tumult, we have a great need to draw near to the Lord.
- There are so many voices shouting for our attention in these days. We need the clarity and simplicity of the Lord to speak to us.
- The Lord desires for His people to draw near to Him. I believe this is a right and good posture for us to take.
Main Theme: Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.
I. The Lord Wants Us to Draw Near (verse 8a)
II. Drawing Near to God Means Submitting to Him (verses 7-9)
III. God Gives Grace to Draw Near (verse 6)
Three Examples of His Promised Grace
- Draw near to the Lord, He WILL draw near to us (verse 8a)
- Resist the devil and he WILL flee (verse 7b)
- Humble yourselves and He WILL lift you up (verse 10)
Questions For Discussion/Application:
- Re-read the text, 1 John 4:6-10. What initial observations and insights do you have from reading this text?
- It is always a temptation, particularly so in these days, to draw near more to the news, to social media, to articles online than to the Lord. How is this temptation evident in your own life?
- What does it mean to draw near to the Lord?
- What are practical ways we can draw near to the Lord?
- When do you typically set aside time in the day to pray and study the Word?
- How do you personally want to grow in drawing near to the Lord?
- How does the Gospel apply when we fail to draw near to the Lord?
- There is a promise associated with the command to draw near — “Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.” How does that promise encourage you and inspire you?
- Consider taking time to pray that God would help us to more consistently and faithfully draw near to the Lord.