Doctrine of the Holy Spirit
October 16, 2022
Sermon Recap PDF
I. Who Is the Holy Spirit?
“The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity, who proceeds eternally from the Father and the Son. He is equal in deity, attributes and nature with the Father and the Son, and with them is to be worshipped and glorified” — Sovereign Grace Statement of Faith
“Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you.” — John 16:7
II. What Does the Holy Spirit Do?
A. The Holy Spirit Empowers
“You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and to the end of the earth.” — Acts 1:8
B. The Holy Spirit Purifies
“There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” — Romans 8:1
“Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And He who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.” — Romans 8:26-27
C. The Spirit Reveals
“For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.” — 2 Peter 1:21
“But I say, walk by the Spirit, and do not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh…” — Galatians 5:16-17
“Do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart.” — Ephesians 5:18-19
D. The Spirit Unites
In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory. — Ephesians 1:11-14
“Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it.” — Psalm 81:10
Questions for Discussion/Application
- Consider taking time, before the discussion, for each person to silently read for themselves section 8 of the Sovereign Grace Statement of Faith. This should take about 10 minutes.
- In reading the Statement of Faith, is there anything that immediately stands out to you or encourages you that you want to share with the group?
- If someone were to ask you, “Who is the Holy Spirit?” what would you say? How would you respond?
- In the outline above, review the major headings under “What Does the Holy Spirit Do?” Which of these ways that the Spirit is active do you find yourself today particularly grateful for?
- “The Spirit Empowers.” What does this mean practically for our witness–both individually and corporately as a church?
- “The Spirit Purifies.” How can this reality encourage us in our pursuit of sanctification?
- “The Spirit Reveals.” Share about a time when the Holy Spirit illuminated scripture to your heart and you were encouraged and edified.
- What are one or two ways you want to see more of the Spirit’s work in your own life?
- Consider taking time to pray, asking God for more of the work of His Spirit in our own lives personally, as a Care Group and as a church.