Our Creator Who Sees All and Knows All
“God is the most important and most valuable reality and person in the universe. He is more worthy of interest and attention and admiration and enjoyment than all other realities, including the entire universe.” John Piper
I. Our All-Knowing God (verses 1-6)
- Yahweh God, Creator of heaven and earth – knows you.
- He knows when you go to bed and when you get up.
- He knows all your activities. He’s acquainted with all your ways.
- Even before you speak words He knows them.
- To be “hemmed in” is not harmful constriction–it is benevolent care.
- God loves caring for His children.
- The news of the all knowing and all seeing God didn’t send him into terror because David had tasted and seen God’s mercy!
II. Our All-Present God (verses 7-12)
When I fear my faith will fail, Christ will hold me fast
When the tempter would prevail, Christ will hold me fast
He’ll not let my soul be lost, His promises shall last
Bought by Him at such a cost, He will hold me fast
III. Our All-Creating God (verses 13-18)
Questions for Discussion/Application:
- Re-read the text, Psalm 139. What initial insights and observations do you have from reading this passage?
- How does it affect you to know that God knows absolutely everything there is to know about you (verse 4)?
- What do you think it means that God hems us in (verse 5)? How does this truth that God hems us in encourage and comfort you?
- God is omnipresent — He is always, everywhere present (verses 8 & 9). How does this awareness comfort us? How does it sober us?
- Looking at verses 14-16, how do these verses inform our understanding of the sanctity of human life? What can we as Christians do to promote the cause of life and of the unborn?
- What is the point of verses 23-24? What does it mean practically for us to pray this same prayer?
- Consider taking time to pray that God would help us to live with a deeper awareness that He sees all, He knows all, He is with us and will never fail us. Take time to also pray for the cause of the unborn in our country.