Blessed To Be With God
July 3, 2022
Sermon Recap PDF
I. Blessed are those who dwell in God’s house (verses 1-4)
“As the sparrows were permitted to find their house under the eaves of God’s ancient tabernacle, we…may come and build under the shelter of God’s great house of mercy. There we may find a safe refuge from every danger, a perfect security for all time, and even for all eternity. O you who think yourselves despised and forgotten, remember that the sparrow has found a house on God’s altar! Come, then, and see if there is not also space for you! At the great altar where Christ was offered as the One sacrifice for sin forever, the most needy soul that ever lived on the face of the earth will find a hearty welcome! — CH Spurgeon
II. Blessed are those whose strength is in the Lord (verses 5-8)
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” — Matthew 5:3
“Your faith will not fail while God sustains it; you are not strong enough to fall away while God is resolved to hold you.” — JI Packer
III. Blessed are those who trust in the Lord (verses 9-12)
“We give glory to God when we trust Him to do what He has promised to do – especially when all human possibilities are exhausted. Faith glorifies God.” — John Piper
Questions for Discussion/Application:
- Re-read the text, Psalm 84. What initial insights and observations do you have from reading this passage?
- Re-read verses 1 and 2. How should verses 1 and 2 inform our attitude and mindset towards coming to church on Sunday? How can verses 1 and 2 encourage us in those situations where we might not “feel like” coming to church?
- Re-read verse 5. What does it mean practically for us to find our strength in the Lord? Why does it matter so much that we primarily find our strength in the Lord rather than ourselves or anything else?
- Re-read verse 12. There is great blessing for the person who trusts in the Lord. What does it mean to truly trust the Lord? Why do we struggle so often to truly trust God? When we are struggling to trust God, what are some practical steps we can take?
- Consider taking time to pray, asking God to (A) increase our passion to gather with the people of God (B) help us to find our strength in him and (C) to trust Him at all times.